This is one of my favorite recipes to make, and is a great thank you or housewarming gift. It is easy to make, and a tasty treats. You will need small ‘jelly jars’ to bake it in.
2 Jars of Big and Chunky applesauce from Trader Joes
½ Cup Sugar
¼ Cup brown sugar
3 Tablespoons flour
2 teaspoons ground ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon nutmeg (freshly grated if possible)
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 ½ Cup flour
½ Cup sugar
½ Cup brown sugar
½ teaspoon cinnamon
⅔ Cup Challenge butter, at room temperature
1. Thaw the pie crust (if using frozen), or prepare pie crust. Please note, frozen pie crust sheets usually need to thaw several hours.
2. Preheat oven to 375*F.
3. Use the ring from the lid of the jars to cut circles of dough. Place one circle of dough into the bottom of each jar and use your fingers to press the dough into the bottom of the jar and up the sides a bit.
4. Bake dough for 13 minutes in bottom of jars at 375*F.
5. Place apple sauce in saucepan.
6. Add both sugars, flour and spices and stir to fully combine.
7. Scoop apples into the prepared jars, pressing the apples in as tightly as possible. Divide the apples between the jars.
8. Prepare the crumb topping by combining all ingredients and mixing together with a pastry blender, or fork until the butter is in small pieces and the mixture is crumbly, yet well combined.
9. Top each jar of apples with a generous portion of crumb topping, pressing down a bit as needed.
10. Bake the jars on a large baking sheet. Bake 15 minutes at 375*F.
11. Cool at least 15 minutes before serving.
Serve as is, or with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top.
NOTE: If preparing in advance, make up filling and freeze, make crumble day of.